The annual CMN International Conference was held October 18-20 – and it was truly international, as some participants came from as far as Canada and Chile. Below is a collection of memories, thoughts and reflections from members old and new, be sure to check in for another collection on Monday, and join us next year, September 19-21, 2014 at the National Conference Center in Leesburg, VA (45 minutes from Washington, DC).
“It was so awesome to see such a lively group at the conference in Los Gatos! Under that beautiful sunshine, we danced around a maypole brought by Nancy Stewart, sang rounds with Nancy Silber (there were about 7 Nancys there), and stared up at amazing redwoods. We also heard some wonderful reflections on the music of our Magic Penny guy, Tom Hunter, and heard Bev Bos’s wisdom about preserving the joy and wonder of early childhood. The workshops were terrific. I especially loved Katherine Dines’ workshop on movement, which invited special creativity from participants. Round Robin highlights: A Jackson Gillman song about a hippopotamus, co-starring Dave Kinnoin, and lots of amazing songs from some of our newbies!”
~ Liz Buchanan www.antelopedance.com
“….The conference was amazing. My husband Stephen, who doesn’t often get to come with me to these, said it was the best one yet that he’s been to. I told him they are ALL like that! I guess it didn’t hurt that the location and premises were GORGEOUS, as was the weather. Good job, whoever contacted the weather gods about that!
“I can’t say what was my very favorite part of the conference, but very high on the list was just seeing all the smiling, singing, dancing, laughing, loving faces and feeling the warmth from everyone. Going to the conference is like coming home for me. THANK YOU ALL.”
~ Patricia Shih www.patriciashih.com
“So pleased to have attended even if just for Saturday! I am new to CMN but felt like it was a big family once I arrived. I knew many of you online and it was such a pleasure to visit in person! I could see how much work and love went into this conference! Highlights for me were the incredible location, the networking and learning about others’ projects, the opportunity to attend workshops and the warmth and passion in all these musical people 🙂 I enjoyed the Magic Penny to see how loved Tom Hunter was and even the chance to give my two sense about communications [at CMN’s Annual Meeting]. They welcomed comments and feedback from everyone — even newbies!”
~ Lisa Sniderman, “Aoede” www.aoedemuse.com
“This is the second national conference for us and again doesn’t fail to fill me with joy!
1) In a very short time I have made the most supportive and amazing friends. You are my music family! (You know who you are!) and if that’s all there was, it would still be a treasure.
2) I’ve attended other conferences purely for business but CMN is the one that fills my soul and renews my spirit with music, conversation, laughs and hugs. And found a few new artists who were interested in our business as well. Couldn’t ask for more!
3) Surprises!! Like I said, this is my second conference and this time, like last, I was asked to be a part of a workshop. SO much appreciated that others value my expertise and opinions.Thanks, Dave Kinnoin, for asking me to join in leading the songwriters’ workshop. Hope I contributed! Next time I actually hope to prepare a workshop!!
4) BIG SURPRISE!! I first started to think at the last minute about coming to the conference from talking with Lisa Sniderman (aka Aoede) If you had a chance to meet her, you now know a very amazing talented artist! She had just joined CMN and I was hoping to finally meet her after connecting through emails and networks. She at first wasn’t coming and then I turned around and BAM there she was!!! Good thing I don’t have a weak heart!
5) Also met so many new friends. People who have been in the biz for years and those just getting started. We talked music as well as business and you should all know PLEASE feel free to continue our conversations anytime!”
~ James Coffey www.bluevisionmusic.com