Parenthood recently took my music-making in a completely new direction as my 2-year-old daughter introduced me to a whole world of music and a new way of seeing and expressing the world around us. Musicians, have you experienced any of these symptoms?
1. Your spouse routinely finds a pick and a pacifier in your pocket when doing the laundry.
2. You start assigning names and personality traits to insects.
3. You feel the urge to write songs while watching over your toddler on the playground.
4. Child’s naptime becomes your time to write a song about whatever you were doing together before naptime.
5. Setting up for a gig before noon is starting to feel normal.
6. Instead of having a drink with fans between sets, you’re changing your #1 fan’s diaper.
7. You experience a loss of inhibitions, even without any alcohol.
8. You blast kindie music in the car, even when your child’s not with you.
9. You tell your bandmates to “take 5” from rehearsal at your child’s bedtime.
10.You rehearse your Parents’ Choice Award acceptance speech in the mirror.
Enjoy, and keep those creative juices flowing!
Jason Didner is a CMN member and the headliner of a kindie band, Jungle Gym Jam!